St Roque 2Originally known as Santa Maria della Porta, the chapel of St. Roque was rebuilt and its location changed in 1732 as part of the urban re-planning of Mdina by the French architect Charles Francois de Mondion. The chapel, which is also referred to as Virgin of Light, consists of an octagonal cell with an oval dome. The deep-set chancel has a richly carved reredos which encloses a painting representing the Gologtha scene, and is flanked by two decorative medallions with oval paintings portraying St Paul and St John the Baptist. The chapel does not function for liturgical services anymore but is opened during the cultural events and major festivals held in Mdina.

To view the plan of St. Roque Chapel with indications of artwork positionings click here.



St Roque 3St Roque 1

Mdina Biennale Venues